Wednesday, March 10, 2010

So, things didn't go exactly as I had hoped today, but I think it will all be for the best (at least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it).

The IV fluids did help turn the kidney numbers in a positive direction, but it appears I am anemic. That's a common issue for someone in my shoes, as my bone marrow's march back to self-sufficiency has been deferred by the need to go after that so-n-so of a lesion on my spine.

So, eventually, the theory goes, my bone marrow will have its time in the sun and will get better, but we have a more pressing engagement to attend. I get it, and am endeavoring not to get too anxious about it (but expecct some anxiety is normal....right?).

What this all means is that I'm spending one more night here so I can have a blood transfusion. Or two. That will take about four hours or more, so it just doesn't make sense to "check out" tonight.

Karen is being characteristically trooper-ish about this, bless her heart, and is all set to spend one more night at the lovely Holiday Inn so she can get me settled into the guest house tomorrow.

So yes, this is all working out for the best. Really. Truly. No foolin'. (Although Karen's Sky may have another opinion and I do feel a little guilty about that.)

Forgot to mention that I also had an echocardiogram (SP?) and chest x-ray yesterday, as there were some concerns that the myeloma proteins might have attached somehow to my heart (I guess the little suckers like to travel). Happily, there was no sign of that, and overall my heart looks good, even though my oxygen levels have sunk a little (that may be the anemia talking, however).

The low oxygen also inspired the chest x-rays, which were also mostly clear. My lungs aren't expanding completely because of my being in bed so much, but I have been making myself get up and about as much as I can to help address that business.

Must say, though, that the addition of the IV fluids to my mix last night did make a full night's sleep challenging. I had to go to the loo every two-to-three hours, so today am feeling very, very tired.

But once I'm in the lodge, a full night's sleep should be back on the menu--hooray!

The moral of today's story, then, is that things aren't going exactly as I had hoped (shocking, I know), but it does look as though all will be back on track tomorrow--and I will feel more substantial due to the transfusions.

Ah, supper is landing--gotta go. Love to you all on my last night in johnnie-land, Ann

No comments: