Sunday, March 28, 2010

It's a look

My personal vampire tendencies continued through the night, aided and abetted by my new PIC line--was the grateful recipient of even more blood and platelets and was also able to offer blood for testing without the infamous "little pick" caution. Easy, breezy blood work, if you will.

So this new line is making my life easier, as promised. But I have to tell you, I feel more than a little alien with access lines coming out of my arm. It helps that they are purple, but only a little.

But my look, such as it is, is also enhanced by an oxygen mask that covers half my face and makes quite the racket. The racket is made by adding water to the air flow; seems to help with the nosebleed situation, so wear it I do.

Toss in a blue johnnie, white compression socks and purple Crocs, and you can imagine the style I exude as I roll slowly (oh yes, I'm using a walker these days, too) down the hall.

On other fronts, the only word on the scan is that the doctors probably won't look at it over the weekend.

Was so happy to see Jennifer and Scott, the happiest fiancees (SP?) in town. Nothing like a hilarious array of stories to help one still feel part of things, and as Jennifer is a comedy and work friend, she keeps me in the loop with two big parts of my existence that are completely on hold now.

What a friend! Plus, her Scott, a sweet pea of enormous proportions, had some good news to share regarding a math test that he had been studying and studying for (he passed). As the math part of my brain is a very dark and scary place, I find his success particularly impressive. Well done, Scott!

Which reminds me. During my dark phase last week, I recall being on the receiving end of a diabolical array of questions. They were designed to determine my lucidity, but had a decided mathematical bent I find unfair in retrospect. For example, one test was for me to count backwards by 7s starting with 100. May sound like child's play to you, but to me, it brought up every kind of math anxiety I've had since 4th grade. With the added bonus of being in a hospital bed with doctors staring at me, expectantly, while my brain feverishly worked on the problem.

Nice.

Isn't there a kinder-to-the-verbal-set way to test such things? Where are the grammar-based challenges for the word wonks? Maybe a spelling bee?

Well, should wrap this up--breakfast is coming any second, and I don't want to miss that! Lew should be coming along soon to continue his weekend coverage (bless his heart), and I may have some other friends coming by to visit later, too.

With love from the 21st floor, Ann

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, lordie...I had a doctor do that with me - the 100 minus 7. I had a HELLUVA time with that and totally bombed out. I just did it on the computer calc and figured out the progression (which might not mean to you mathies what it means to me!!)...basically you subtract 10 and add 3 to your last answer (wish I had known that a few years ago!). And also, Ann, glad you are going slowly down the hallway. For one, your johnnie won't blow open, and secondly, you need to let all passersby appreciate your fashion sense as you meander down the runway--ur, hallway!!!

eve x said...

Ann- i know you're going through a lot- but i can stand by quietly while you badmouth the purple crocks.
Andrea Purple Crock Defender Henry