Sunday, March 07, 2010

Good news update!

Am typing with one hand--my left hand, no less--so pardon any typos. The nurse took out the IV line in the crook of my right arm, and I am not to bend it for 30 minutes.

But I have some good news, so let's try being a lefty, shall we?

The oncology hematologist who is covering this weekend said that the radiation should act like napalm on the "plasma cytoma" (SP?) that is a long, pencil-esque lesion on my spine. That is a much better result than mere "shrinking," IMHO.

TMI alert: He also told me that the little bugger is the result of bone marrow leaking from a crack in my spine. They couldn't find the crack on the MRIs or x-ray, but it's somewhere.

To this news, Cousin Pat couldn't help but add, "Well, we've always known you were cracked."

So yes, now it's official. I'm cracked, but the "export" made possible by this fissure is going to be eradicated--hasta la vista, Baby!

Happy day!

Today is not likely a radiation day after all, but that's okay. The doc said that just means I'm not at high risk for more problems, which I'll take as a good sign, too. All will resume tomorrow.

So, that's the latest medical news. After lunch, Karen and I are going to go outside and soak up some sun and fresh air--it looks gorgeous out there, and I am looking forward to it.

Will be rockin' my johnnie and winter coat, with a pair of organic crew socks and purple Crocs.

If ever there was a time to embrace "lesbian fashion" as an oxymoron, this is it.

Lunch has arrived, so I'm off--love to you all, with particular gratitude for your comments, Ann

7 comments:

Anne Pratt said...

Napalm! YES! Haven't thought about that stuff in years, but this is a welcome departure from its old reputation. I'm sorry to hear your spine has been leaking, but must agree with those who know you better that you are undoubtedly cracked.

Andrea gave your blog address to everyone in church today (thanks to Mary) and so your readership will multiply! Maybe you can get some affiliate ads on here and make a million while keeping us informed and entertained.

Thinking of you often.

Unknown said...

Oh, my! A johnnie, winter coat, purple crocs and socks.........a vision (of what, I won't say!). And hooray for "naplam"! NEVER thought I would be typing such a sentence. It is beautiful out, isn't it? The boats must be bobbing around the Charles River today. Ummm-ummmm!!!!!

Lynn said...

Glad to read some good news - good grief, your blog is starting to need a subtitle like "Out of the frying pan, into the fire"...

No, you don't know me... but I've been following your blog ever since you posted about Linda on the caregiver list that I read. I'm not a stalker, honest. (And even if I were, I wouldn't have the energy to stalk anybody, between 2 kids and caregiving - and I'm 3000 miles away from you to boot, so no worries.) You're a fantastic writer, and I'm sure you'd be able to make your blog amply fascinating even if life were to hand you less colorful raw material. I keep hoping that happens soon.

Meanwhile, it seems to me that you're due for a song to support your current life theme. Beth, my partner and caregive-ee, has such a song for you. When you get a chance, click through to her SonicBids site and listen to Medicine Ball. http://www.sonicbids.com/epk/epk.aspx?epk_id=115979 Hope you enjoy.

Hang in there - you're in the prayers of all sorts of random people, for what that's worth :-)

Lynn

Val and Joan's travels said...

I hope Karen got a picture of you in that outfit. NOT the Breck Girl look I remember!

Anonymous said...

FYI to Val: Karen is also a dear friend, and it never occured to her to take a picture of yours truly in her johnnie-purple croc-steroid bloat splendor.

You'll just have to imagine the look, but I really don't know why you'd want to (I'm a fright!).

Val and Joan's travels said...

well, Karen is a good friend. But at least a picture of the feet? With the socks and purple crocs???

:-)

Val

Paula Spencer said...

Ann dear-

All of us @ HCC are holding you in prayer 24/7 and hope you can feel the love coming your way

Richard and I will be near Boston on the 19th/20th and depending on where you are and how you're feeling would love to see you if you're up for it.

Meanwhile,

Hugs and blessings,

Paula Spencer