Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ah, t'is always something

My lower back began to ache a bit yesterday, and I was under strict instructions to tell my dear Doc if I had new/more pain somewhere, so....

Looks as though I'll be having a CT scan tomorrow to see if something else is going on, but in my lower back this time.

No need to worry--it could be nada, and even if it is another lesion, I will be starting chemo up anew on Friday. That is Job One, friends. Depending on what's what, I may be having another course of radiation, I may not.

Due to the urgency of all this, my chemo schedule is changing, too--to Mondays and Thursdays instead of Wednesdays and Saturdays. This might make getting rides more tricky, I realize, but it doesn't sound as though I really have a lot of leeway right now, so I'm just saying "Okay" to it all in the hopes we can figure something out. The dear ol' carcass comes first, right?

So, here we are. I must admit this latest twist has left me weepy more than once, including in the doctor's office, but they were dear about it, so why worry? I really can't. Stoicism might be big in the Midwest, but I haven't lived there for decades, so I'm going with whatever happens, including tears, even if a little corner of my mind is saying, "Oh for pity's sake, would you buck up a little?"

For now, no. Bucking up takes energy I don't have, so the weeps have it.

It's just been another tough day, but as with all of my tough days so far, there have been balancing bright spots. For one thing, Mary is keeping me company another night, which is a big comfort. Plus, Karen has generously offered to spend the next two nights here, and, most importantly, take me home on Friday.

And that prospect makes all this other fun 'n frolic that much more bearable, you know?

Till tomorrow, friends--with love from Boston, Ann

5 comments:

ckrigbaum@krigbaumlaw.com said...

Stoicism is overrated. My dad said recently "being 83 means being able to cry about your dog and not apologize for it." I think what you've been through beats being 83. and the dog bit.

Jennifer Myszkowski said...

Oh, Padlock. It's hard out there for a human sometimes. We're thinking of you.

Rebecca Weber said...

Ann, Hoping the back pain is nothing serious. I am so glad you got to move to the lodge. Warm wishes and prayers.

Holly said...

I could help with rides, with a bit o' notice. (Happy St. Patrick's Day!) Next week, for example would be fine. Let me know how to reach your scheduler.

Holly

PJ said...

Wish I could offer more than just a few words here.

Hang in there....we are pulling for you..

Pj and Peg