Monday, March 08, 2010

Monday, Monday.....

Even though I am not working, today was a Monday with a capital "M."

My biggest challenge requires a SQUEAMISH ALERT: Between all the pain meds and my general lack of activity, I found myself constipated beyond all reason today. I'll spare you the details, but suffice to say I was miserable most of the day, and wasn't exactly high on life yesterday, either.

But I'm all better now, thank you, and am VERY grateful this is, uh, behind me. Am hoping it won't be as much of an issue going forward, for I am now taking some "preventive" medicine, and thanks to the radiation treatments (had #3 today), my back is not in as much pain, so fewer meds need be applied. Happy day!

Also met with my dear blood and kidney doctors, and learned about the new medicine they'll be adding to the mix from my primary doctor's nurse practitioner. Once my radiation treatments are done and my numbers are back up to where they should be (approx. a week or so), I will resume the Velcade (the Wednesday and Saturday chemo) and adding something called Revlimid, which is a second generation of thalidomide. Yes, that thalidomide. (The former anti-morning sickness drug that caused terrible birth defects, alas.)

It apparently works wonders with multiple myeloma, so here we go. Because of its questionable derivation, the drug manufacturer makes potential patients answer a lot of questions about whether they will get pregnant. As you can imagine, not one of the questions addresses the possibility that the patient in question could be gay. Sigh.

They want me to have either had a complete hysterectomy or to have not had a period for 24 months. I don't meet either criterion, but being a lesbian widow of 50 does rather reduce my chances of an "oopsie" pregnancy, don't you think?

Am hoping upon further reflection the company will see how small a pregnancy risk I am. Really--it would take a rather extraordinary set of circumstances for me to find myself with child. Something like being the vehicle for the Second Coming extraordinary.

Otherwise, Karen and I enjoyed a visit from Lisa K. of my church, who came bearing my laptop, prescriptions, and a doll from a sweetpea at church, so I can set up shop at a nearby hotel when I get to leave the hospital (Wednesday looks promising....we shall see). Am hoping Wednesday is the absolute latest day Karen gets home to her Sky. Karen's been such a gift, taking notes and asking my doctors questions that she and Sky have formulated, finding me apples and other delights in the cafeteria and elsewhere. But really, I am fairly confident this is not how she envisioned spending her retirement, bless her heart. As my brother said when I told him that Karen was accompanying me yet again to MassGeneral, "above and beyond."

Indeed.

Well, it's time to pack things up and get ready to hit the hay--after "The Closer" ends, of course.

Thanks for stopping by--hope all (and I mean all) is going well for you. Love from the shores of the River Chuck, Ann

2 comments:

Korte said...

"They want me to have either had a complete hysterectomy or to have not had a period for 24 months. I don't meet either criterion, but being a lesbian widow of 50 does rather reduce my chances of an "oopsie" pregnancy, don't you think?"

Ann- your writing is brilliant and your humor never falters, no matter what. You are truly an inspiration.

Korte

Rebecca Weber said...

I found your blog by accident and since I have myeloma, I wanted to continue to read. You write with grace and humor and my husband-my wonderful caregiver send you prayers and good wishes and hope you are in the lodge on your next blog posting.

Rebecca Weber
on velcade too