Sunday, July 31, 2005

All's well, except for the slouching

Last night's show at The Comedy Studio was fine, except I didn't adjust the mic stand (which Rick Jenkins had graciously lowered--he's a very tall drink of water), and hence spent my set leaning into the mic.

I knew I was doing it, I wanted to stop, but I didn't have the mental fortitude to adjust the stand while talking--perhaps the comedic equivalent of walking and chewing gum--so decided to forge ahead, poor posture notwithstanding.

Just watched the DVD from the show, and my posture isn't as bad as I feared, but, of course, could be better. Mother would not be pleased, but I don't think anyone would notice. That much. Okay, except for my comedy buddy Jennifer. And any other comic watching.

To heck with them. That's my attitude at the moment, and I'm enjoying this fleeting fiestiness while it lasts. (It won't.)

The jokes got laughs, for the most part, so my mission was accomplished. And, it appears it was duly noted by Mr. Jenkins. It seems both yours truly and Jennifer will be invited back to the Studio on a regular basis. In a word: Woo!

That's something to write home about. And I would, if my parents were still living. Would be a little pointless now. Perhaps I'll write my Aunt and Uncle in Wisconsin, what's left of my father's generation in the homeland. They just sent me three pounds of coffee beans, for they know I'm job-hunting and probably want to help out somehow. Coffee is an unobtrusive, but oh-so-thoughtful way of saving a niece some money. Best of all, they remembered that Linda and I like the strong stuff, and that's what they sent.

Bless their hearts.

Thing is, I know they'll wonder what The Comedy business is going to come to, and I don't have an answer for them. At the moment it just seems the thing to do. What keeps me going: If the Universe gives you hints about doing something (i.e., standup), you do it, people tell you you're good at it and to keep doing it, and it seems to be getting progressively easier and enjoyable to do it, you'd keep doing it too, wouldn't you? Of course you would--wouldn't you?

I may just be trying to shorten my deathbed regrets phase, but then again, I am not exactly being deluged by offers from more "legitimate" opportunities, so what the hey.

That's my rationale du jour. Now, I must figure out what I'm doing at tonight's show, even though I have no idea how much time I have. Details, details.

No comments: