Thursday, July 14, 2005

"Today later," eh?

Thought I might be close to landing a job today, but am now beginning to wonder if I made it all up (yes, I'm ending a sentence with a preposition, and no, that's not a good indicator of why my job hunt has been for naught, you churlish beast).

The editing/writing test I took yesterday went well, apparently, but now I'm waiting for a follow-up interview/call that was supposed to happen "today later." That was the phrasing at 9:13 this morning, and this person is on the East Coast, so I'm wondering: Did I manage to say something stupidly job-costing in my last missive to this person, or did she just get busy (she was on deadline, after all, and I know how that is) and put the call/me off?

This job-hunting business is a crazy-making affair, let me tell you. It doesn't help that my initial excitement over the job prospect sent adrenalin coursing through my veins, adrenalin that has now worn off and its absence is making me want to take a little nap. Okay, a big nap.

But I know I won't sleep, wondering if the "today later" call is on its way. Harrumph!

I'm also wondering if the fates are arranging it so that the person calls just when the postman is delivering and/or the paperboy is making his appointed rounds. Then she'll get to hear the "hounds of heck" I listen to every day, which may make her think I work from my home, alright. My home in a kennel.

Otherwise, Shwea, Linus, and I had a fine walk this morning at Dog Heaven--Shwea's first in about two weeks. She has been flat out on the floor ever since--that's a sign of a dog walk well done.

So, I can't land jobs, but I can give my dogs a proper walk. One takes one's successes where one can....

No comments: