Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Up in the air

I woke up at the first bell this morning (not after several of the only bars I frequent these days--snooze bars), for I had a rendez-vous at 7:30 a.m. at the cottage with a plumber.

My heart be still.

The plumber, however, was not quite as timely a fellow as I had expected, and didn't show up until 8:50 a.m. Puddin' head.

Yes, I could have slept another hour--or at least hit the snooze bar a number of times. Puddin'head-n-a-half!

While I waited, I cleaned the house and refilled the hummingbird feeder. Linda is of the firm belief that hummingbirds only like "fresh" sugar water, but I saw one dart up and drink repeatedly from water that was at least 10 days old. He (or was it she?) didn't seem to mind, but I had time to kill, so did my duty to the boids.

Also dismantled the garbage bin that the bears kept breaking into, even though it's empty. Do bears not have a good sense of smell, or do they just like to mess things up every so often, just to let you know they're there? Bears without a cause....

Returned to a call from the potential job person, who had some more for me to do. With her help, I created a couple of pie charts that weren't half bad--rather fun, that. (Sorry, just watched part of "Mrs. Dalloway," and all the British English stays with this one.) May even have an official interview with this group this Friday, though it's too soon to tell.

Sadly, the one job I thought I had a real shot at is no longer a target, so to speak. It sounded so cool: It was with a university, it entailed writing and editing, and not only that, three of my former colleagues wrote such glowing letters of recommendation on my behalf even I would have hired me on the spot (and I know what my weak points are!). It seemed perfect, but then the Fates intervened. In yesterday's mail, I learned that the university has suspended its search due to "budgetary constraints." So goes another prospect. Alas.

On the other hand, there is the interview possibility, I'm working on my sets for this weekend, and have already put together my first draft for the LGBT magazine. So I may not be a hot full-time employment prospect, I've got my charm in other sectors.

Unpaid sectors, but who am I to quibble?

No comments: