Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The cleaning lady is taking her sweet time

It's cleaning day, and I am having a hard time getting motivated to tackle this (overdue) job. Keep hoping another fragment of freelance work will come in from that editing job I thought I had a shot at--it appears to still be on the freelance course, with no word of a full-time position. Oh well.

Applied to some more jobs yesterday, and am looking at a job in Cambridge today--I know, I know, the commute would be a killer, but the job sounds so cool.

"Cool" jobs are few and far between, let me tell you--heck, all jobs are few and far between when you've landed in the purgatory known as ALMOST 20 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE.

I'm beginning to think that doesn't make me sound like a seasoned professional, rather it sounds like: Old, expensive, fussy, technologically inept, and a giant pain in the ass.

When if people would just have me on over for an interview, they could see that none of that applies--except, perhaps, for the old and/or expensive part. (But I'm getting less expensive every day; and for a 46-year-old, I'm remarkably lifelike.)

It's been three months since I learned of my job's (partial) demise and the end of work as I know it. Must admit I thought I would have landed something by now, but it's beginning to look like I am going to have to bide my time until the fall--and hope/pray things start to open up then.

What's most frustrating is that I can't even find TEMP work--that just seems wrong, somehow. The last nibble I had turned out to be "wrong for me" (the company found me overqualified for the job--but isn't that the nature of temp work for a lot of people?!), and now "my" rep is working on a gig that wouldn't start until the end of August. August?!

Wah, wah, wah, whine, whine, whine, kvetch, kvetch, kvetch--okay, I feel better now.

Elsewise, not much is shakin'--enjoyed the season finale of "The Scholar" last night, especially the testy exchanges among the college recruiters who were making the tough (make that nigh impossible) choice about who should win. The final three candidates were all good--great, even--though the guy was a little too intense for my liking--he seemed to be someone who could easily go over to the Unibomber side of the equation if life threw him a few too many curves.

Hope the show is renewed for next season, for cheesy and occasionally annoying as it could be, it puts a premium on education, community service, and playing well with others--values our country's current leaders don't share, to put it mildly.

Sigh.





No comments: