Monday, August 01, 2005

Another weekend devoted to The Comedy

Wow, that was exhausting! I'm so tired after performing two nights in a row, I am allowing thoughts of not doing comedy float into my head.

Why can't I just be happy being an editor (assuming I can find another editing job, that is)? WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH ME?

It didn't help that my sets were not exactly killers. And there's a joke of mine on the subject of abortion that my comedy buddy Jennifer is convinced is comic gold that, well, I think was proven last night to not suited to the general public--even the generally liberal public of Somerville, MA. It's nothing on par with the "Aristocrats" joke or anything, but it was a decidedly unwelcome addition to my set, on par with what my dear college buddy Carol used to call a "turd in the punchbowl." It helped bring my set to its knees last night, and I don't think I ever got it back afterwards. Live and learn (one of these days).

However, it would probably work with a queer audience, as long as most of the audience were gay--can't shock that demographic, no matter how hard I try.

Be that as it may, I still did well enough at The Comedy Studio to be put into "regular rotation" by dear Mr. Jenkins, just like a set of tires. Thrilling! For these show dates and others, go to my backup site on Verizon (in case you're wondering, they occasionally drop pages, so Blogger gets most of my "business").

This afternoon, I did another bit of freelance business for the metals folks, as tired as I am. Have my root canal reno tomorrow, so I can't put it off--here's hoping I didn't mess it up (and if I did, right now I'm beyond caring).

Lastly, I realized last night (yes, for the umpteenth time) that some of the key people in my life have BIG PERSONALITIES. That's probably because I have long had serious milquetoast tendencies, in case you haven't noticed. (How could I not? How many brassy Midwestern Catholic/Presbyterian youngest birth order people do you know? Yup, as I suspected.)

I also noticed (nope, not for the first time either) that BIG PERSONALITIES do not necessarily get along. At all. Alas. In a perfect world, we all could get along, but as we know, this world is in need of work. Alas x 2.

Not surprising, I suppose, but just one of those facts of life that keep things interesting around here.

No comments: