Friday, August 12, 2005

Department of Public Shirks, if you ask me

Well, I thought the bear would be my excitement for the day, but I was wrong. Got a letter from the City of Northampton explaining why I am not eligible for reimbursement for the flat tire I got because the Department of Public Works (DPW) left concrete fragments on the street. (For the blog entry detailing this happy episode, click here.)

The main reason they're off the responsibility hook: They had signs up warning that there were workers ahead.

So if we see such signs and make the assumption that the men of the DPW might actually be careful as they work, conscious of their role as public servants, thinking of the wellbeing and safety of the citizens using the roadways they are paid (by said citizens) to make safe, we are such idiots we get what we deserve. In my case, a bill for about $120.00.

The fact that I drove over debris they left on the road (to avoid hitting said "Workers") is my fault, when in reality I should have seen the "Men Working" sign, turned around, and drove as far in the opposite direction as I could go (and that's my plan for here on in--I suggest you do the same).

Thanks, guys! You are upholding the stereotype of straight guys as slobs, no question. Keep up the good work!

One more thing bothers me: A few hours after I called in to complain about hitting the debris, I drove over to the site of the concrete catastrophe with a camera in the hopes of getting a picture or two of the mess the guys left. Wouldn't you know it, it was clean as a whistle. So these men have the technology to clean up after themselves, but only when they have to--my goddess, how infantile can you be? (Oh, I am so understanding of the dyke separatists right now, I can't tell you.)

Anyway, what also gets my knickers in a knot is that the City is protected by a sign, whereas me, a homo-owner, is not. We have "Beware of Dog" signs at each door and gate on our wee property, but if a burglar were to enter our home and get bit, said burglar could sue us for damages, signs or no signs.

So, the City's DPW lazybones are protected from injured citizens by a sign, whereas a sign does nothing to protect citizens from a robber who breaks into their homes and gets what's coming to him/her.

Lest you think I'm anti-civil servant, relax. I am the only member of my family not in civil service of some sort: My sister is an attorney for a major Midwestern city and my brother is a bureaucrat with a major federal agency in our nation's capital. Further, my dear departed mother was a state employee, so I know and love civil servants and appreciate the work they do.

Unless they do their work badly, without pride, or in order to gain the spotlight/power. That I have trouble with.

Ah, life indeed is not fair, this I know. And true, I am not a penguin. But still.

I have the option to contest this decision/evasion; if I'm not gainfully employed by then, I may just do it. But if I am gainfully employed by then, it won't be worth it--though I may need to send in a letter of protest.

Cause that's the kind of gal I am.

One last thing: Spellcheck suggested I change DPW to dope. What to do, what to do?

No comments: