Friday, August 12, 2005

Wow--at least it wasn't a grizzly!

Today was panning out to be another marginally useful day for yours truly. First, I took the dogs for a walk (Shwea has been to Dog Heaven twice--twice!--this week without bleeding, I am very happy to report); next, I went to the "new" mechanic to get the tire pressure gauge fixed; then I walked into town to meet a friend for lunch; and then I walked home to get ready to go to the cottage (or is it camp? Linda and I seem to be calling it different things for some reason).

Anyway, all went according to schedule until I walked home after lunch. I had a silly large burrito for lunch (fast becoming my second-favorite food group, after pizza--yes, we Midwestern types are suckers for lean cuisine) and it was silly hot, so by the time I got to a park near my neighborhood (Childs Park, for those of you in the know about Northampton), I got a side stitch and needed to sit down. Since I knew I was probably going to sit for a while (I found a bench in the shade and had a cool beverage to sip, lucky me), I checked my messages in the off chance one of the 60+ resumes/cover letters/pleas I'd sent out hit paydirt.

I didn't get any calls from prospective employers, of course, but I did have one message, and it was a good one. My friend Hilary had called to check in, so I called her back. From a park bench. In a park.

Perhaps there is an upside (or two) to this semi-employment business?

Anyway, I was chatting with her and heard a commotion on the street behind me (Elm); I didn't see anything but a bunch of cars stopped for no apparent reason, then I thought I saw an enormous black dog running towards me. Then, in a heartbeat, I realized the enormous black dog was not a dog at all, but a big black bear. And he/she was heading my way.

Yikes!

I jumped up and faced the bear, who I don't think saw me until that moment, for he put on the brakes a bit and changed directions, so he was no longer heading at me, but off to my left. Now, I have read more times than I care to admit the rules of bear "engagement," and know in my brain that running is not the thing to do, but I couldn't help myself. That story about the grizzlies eating that bear nut and his girlfriend was fresh in my mind, so I sort of jogged backwards a bit, facing the bear as he ran away into the open field, where he proceeded to let loose a cascade of bear droppings the likes of which I've never seen. (Well, to be honest, I've never seen a bear do his business before--it reminded me of horse droppings, if you need a visual, no need to thank me). He then ran into a thin strip of woods on the other side of the park, and I don't know where he went after that.

What a commotion!

Which leads me to ask the immortal question: Do bears shit in the woods? I can't say for sure, but they definitely shit in Childs Park.

Poor thing must have been scared out of his wits.

The entire time, I was narrating this tale to my friend, who laughed and said, "You're making this up."

Now really, I may be semi-employed and a fan of The Comedy and all, but I do have better things to do than to call friends with imaginary animal sightings.

At least so far.

Otherwise, not much is going on--did "apply" to two more temp agencies today on the Internet, in the hopes they will call me in for tests next week. We shall see...

What are our options?

No comments: