Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Zen anxiety

I bought a Zen calendar this year, in the hope that a daily meditative missive would help me start the day on a spiritual plane (something we recovering folks strive to do). Unfortunately, I am a neophyte where Zen is concerned, and realize after reading several months' worth of daily Zen wit and wisdom that what I was really looking for Zen light--spirituality without the kick in the pants that goes with hardcore Zen.

Consider, for example, this entry from a "Zen Master" for August 7: "The trouble is that you think you have time."

Doesn't that just put a spring in your step? As my friend Hilary is fond of saying, "Yikes!"

On other fronts, in the past two days I've sent out eight cover letters, resumes, and other attachments--whatever the nice employer asked for, he or she being the boss and all. Hope springs eternal, right?

Yesterday, I also called the temp agency that I signed up with, for it was the two-month anniversary of our "working" relationship. A most unsatisfying "working" relationship, may I add, for it has not resulted in any work. In the two months since I did quite well on their automated skills tests, I have received word of two prospective jobs that didn't pan out--Woo! And "my" rep at the agency didn't take my call--she said she'd call me back.

She hasn't. Yet. Altogether now: Woo x 2!

Once I get my car fixed and my tooth is out of the woods (it's looking a little funky, and no, not the good kind o' funk), I'm signing up with another agency. Maybe two.

Unless, of course, one of the "real" jobs I've applied for becomes a possibility. Go ahead--chuckle at that prospect. That's what I'm doing....

No comments: