Thursday, August 04, 2005

Lumpy and grumpy

Well, the cheek situation continues unabated--in fact, I think I gained some cheek mass overnight. Lovely.

But since I work from home (when indeed I work) it doesn't matter. Thank Whomever my face is not my fortune! (Yeah, that I have a lot of gratitude about, you betcha.)

I think I'm just surly because I didn't get to see the penguin movie last night. Some work came in over the transom early afternoon, and as I am in no position to say "no" to money coming in (as opposed to the continual outflow), I did it, even though it messed with my movie plans.

Also heard from another prospective employer with a seemingly cool job that I wasn't the chosen one--that doesn't help my mood, either.

All is not lost--did eat at our favorite local vegetarian restaurant last night, Bela's, and I had the perfect meal for the dentally challenged: A veggie cutlet with mashed potatoes and gravy. It was divine--but then, we Midwestern types swoon over mashed potatoes and anything.

And while having empathy for employers is a bit of a stretch for me these days, a posting on Craigslist has piqued a little sympathy for those devils. It may be a hoax, but it's a witty one (and wit is in short supply these days, no?).

Lastly, I saw another episode of the unfortunately-titled "Brat Camp" last night. Have developed a love-hate relationship with the show, for the survivalist camp/rehab appears to have the best interests of the teenagers at heart, but it seems to be missing huge, gaping parts of the dysfunction/substance abuse picture (the parents/family setting). These kids might gain self-esteem and survival skills galore in their 40-plus day journey, but if they're dropped back into the arms of their Dysfunction Junction family afterwards (none of which has had any therapy at all, from what I've seen on the show), what will become of them?

I worry, yes I do--even about kids who call each other "Dude" with annoying frequency. And that means there's hope for me yet, Jay Leno-esque jaw and all....

Must think about what I'm going to do at tonight's open mic, besides taking copious notes as to how Ms. Myszkowski works her hostessing magic (I'm supposed to host next month and am already worried about how it will/won't go). Silly, eh? (Yup, that's me.)

No comments: