Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Why another blog?

Why indeed? I guess since Verizon dropped about a month's worth of entries last month, I decided to look elsewhere. I may still keep the site (http://mysite.verizon.net/vze86nmj/) for comedy listings and such, but this is where my daily musings (okay, rants) will go for the foreseeable. Plus, this blog offers spellchecking, which my other blog didn't--a must for an editor who has some pride left, life experience notwithstanding.

The name of the blog is the address of my childhood (and messy adolescence) home in a small Wisconsin town. It's where my grandparents moved when they married in 1905, where my mother was born during the great blizzard of 1920, and where my parents moved when Dad's business venture in his hometown failed miserably. Needless to say, my grandparents are dead, and sadly, so are my parents, and the house has changed hands. Species, perhaps.

Okay, that last crack may not be fair, but let's just say that no matter how bad things got financially in my family (and things got dicey on a fairly regular basis), my folks never did car repair in the front yard. Nor did they leave the paint to self-peel in lieu of scraping.

Of course, Dad was a painting contractor, so it probably wouldn't have been good for business, but still...

No comments: