Friday, February 25, 2005

Happy Friday!

Had a great show last night in Connecticut, and am still feeling groovy as a result. Am always touched by people who take the time to come up and say they enjoyed my set--I know I always used to be too much of a wussy to do such things. Was particularly cheered by the man who had seen me a year (!) ago at another venue and remarked on how dramatically my set had changed (read: improved) in a year. Of course, the folks from a local college who asked me to perform at their pride festivities didn't hurt. And the gift certificate from the bar's manager was a sweet ending, too.

That sort of night makes all those shows at places where the sun of comedy doesn't shine worthwhile. It was all practice, and apparently good practice at that.

The only bad part about last night was driving in the snow, even in my front-wheel drive cutie--felt like such an idiot out there, especially with all the SUVs and other four-wheel drive vehicles whizzing past me. I used to drive a rear-wheel drive car in the snow all the time when I was a youngin' in Wisconsin, but I had no sense of my own mortality (or I was drunk and/or stoned), so I didn't care.

Now, I know death is on the agenda, and the only mind-altering substance in my system was a little post-performance adrenalin, so I was a wreck. Kept thinking, "Wouldn't this be a stupid way to die--driving to and from a comedy night?! (My parents would meet me at the Pearly Gates with rolled-up newspapers for that one.)

Might have to rethink my plans to put off the AWD vehicle for another year or so (it would be the most financially savvy thing to do, but since when have I been a slave to financial savvy? Any savvy?!). We shall see....

No comments: