Friday, February 18, 2005

A little of this, a little of that....

Last night's benefit at the Bluebonnet Diner was a success--Jessie's House took in $500 from the event, and just about everybody's set went well. Linda even managed to tape my performance with her vintage camcorder, which presented a good news/bad news scenario. The good news? I can watch my performance. The bad news? I can watch my performance.

Goddess, when did I start looking like a troll doll with short hair and glasses?

That minor quibble aside, I was pleased with my set and so was everybody else who matters to me (as well as a number of people I never met).

The funniest bit of the night, however, did not come from a comic. After the closer (who shall remain nameless, and you'll soon see why) had performed for a while, a woman in the audience was heard to yell, "Stop!" After he had performed a good while longer, she yelled something to the effect of, "We want the gay girl back!"

That killed the crowd, and almost did me in, too (not with humor, but with mortification to the extreme). Unfortunately, I was so shocked that I didn't think of what to say until this morning (typical).
Over breakfast, I realized I should have stood up and yelled back, "Mother, you promised!"

Maybe that would have broken the tension, maybe not. It was a night to remember, that's for certain.

On other fronts, Linda and I have thrown in the holistic, homeopathic towel where Shwea is concerned. Not only is her paw not healing, but she's developed an irritation on top of her paw, thanks to all the avid bandaging that has been going on around here. I called the vet this morning, and he thinks there may be something lodged up in her paw causing this to happen.

So yes, we may be meeting with a surgeon in a week or so. Sigh. Not the road we wanted to take, but we can't let this go on indefinitely for Shwea's sake (to say she hates the recurring bandage application is a masterpiece of understatement) as well as ours.

Anybody ready/willing/able to add a lab mix to their prayer list? Much obliged.

No comments: