Monday, February 07, 2005

Pups and ice do not mix

If you don't want to read a sad story, stop right here. This morning, the buzz at the local nature trail (which I call Dog Heaven) was that a young chocolate lab slipped into the river/broke through the ice and was swept away and drowned last week. That poor pup--he had already been mauled as a pup by another dog and had a muzzle that was off-kilter, but he also had a sweet disposition and I always enjoyed running into him on the trail.

Sad enough, but he was under the care of a dog walker when it happened. She must be devastated, and while she had the permission of the dog's owners to walk him off-leash, I can't imagine she isn't feeling terrible now. Sadness. Makes me want to put my two middle-aged mutts on leashes until Spring....

Thank goddess Linus is afraid of water and Shwea won't have anything to do with the river until it's warm as bathwater (a princess in dog's clothing, that one).

On other fronts, I had a mild hissy yesterday when I realized that two coats of paint weren't going to cut it where our hallway was concerned, and we didn't have enough paint for a third coat. I just want to be done, people, but it seems that this is one of those (many, many, many) household projects that just defies completion, over and over and over again.

But, if owning a house does anything for a gal, it makes sure she doesn't have any idle time on her hands, and with idle time being the devil's workshop and me being a member of a suspect class, the world should be grateful (even if I'm not).

Today's moral: Be careful out there--especially if you have dogs and live in a wintry neck o' the woods!

No comments: