Thursday, February 03, 2005

And I thought we had challenges....

Linda and I saw "Hotel Rwanda" last night (yes, in lieu of watching the State of the Union Address--I have high blood pressure to contend with, after all), and it offered a big, heaping dose of horror. And the movie supposedly offered a "sanitized" version of events. As Nancy and Sluggo used to say: Yikes!

Am sorry I left Bill Clinton's bio out at the cottage, for I want to know how he and other world leaders explain their decision not to intervene. I have Madeleine Albright's book around here somewhere; perhaps she can shed some light. Doubt it--seems a shameful business all around.

It's not been a banner couple of years for lesbian/gay rights, but I don't think we have to worry about machete-wielding mobs coming to our door. Do we? (No, you're right--the mobs would probably have automatic weapons. The anti-gay/moral values set likely also being fond of the Second Amendment and all.... Good thing--it would likely be a faster way to go, no?)

Yes, a movie like "Hotel Rwanda" can make a gal a bit dour, yes indeed--but watching Dubya deliver a fresh load wouldn't have done much for my mood, either. According to the paper, he brought up the anti-gay marriage amendment again. What a shock! When the going gets tough (more deaths in Iraq, iffy news on the economic front, questions raised regarding Cabinet appointees and the true nature of the Social Security "crisis"), the homophobes get going. Guess we're the U.S. of A.'s Tutus--but the Hutus (Homophobes) don't have the machetes. Yet.

Woo--ain't life grand?

So much for my improved frame of mind, eh? Oh well, I knew it would pass....

No comments: