Friday, February 04, 2005

Just get on with it, will you?

I have spent the last six months dithering about a new PC and laptop. My current setup is about nine years old, which makes them obsolete to the nth degree. With minor tweaking, they've served me very well lo these many years, but they've been acting a little peckish of late, so I've made the decision to buy.

Problem is, I'm a born researcher, and have spent the past four months analyzing every PC and laptop combination possible--well, every possible combination from HP and IBM, the only major blue PC manufacturers around. There are scads of printouts from about 13 different rating/ranking sites in a folder on my desk, and I have been engaging in more than a little "analysis paralysis" on this front. Yesterday, I decided enough is enough.

A catalog from a computer retailer landed on my desk, and it had one page devoted to an IBM laptop and desktop that fit the bill--and together they cost less than my 1996 vintage PC. "A sign from God," as my dear Linda is fond of saying. (I think He gets as bored with my protracted research frenzies as I do, and I appreciate the help. Really.)

So, I bought them. Both. I am very, very relieved, for I have a feeling that if I don't get a new PC soon, my old reliable is going to crash magnificently, and with a lame old asthmatic laptop as my backup, that isn't good. Not when a gal earns her keep pounding the keyboard, no sir.

So, whew! One less nagging thing to do. Next on the list: Get up the nerve to listen to the message on the answering machine about my colonoscopy referral.

Yeah--that may take a while.

Oh, and last night's open mic went pretty well. I wasn't the funniest soul on parade, but I didn't feel like I was speaking into a dark void (a la Breakers), so I was content. Do wonder about comics who need to make fun of people who are not like them--we have the Bush administration for that, don't we?

That wee complaint aside, I have a lot of shows coming up, and I'm looking very forward to them all. In a word: Woo!

No comments: