Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Snowed out AGAIN!

Attempting The Comedy in winter is a frustrating enterprise. The show I was to perform in tomorrow night has been cancelled due to yet another huge storm coming our way--as much as 20 inches of the white stuff may be in our future. Mother Nature is just showing off at this point, and I hope she and her ego get over themselves soon. Enough, already!

The good news is my friend Jennifer and I got together last night to work on our sets for Sunday's show in Boston, and I felt really good about what we each put together. Being more than a little shy about my material, I was a little dubious as to how much I was going to be able to get out of meeting with a comic who has so much more experience than I--one of my biggest buttons is marked, "Don't make me look like an idiot." Luckily for me, Jennifer is not that kind of person, bless her, and her input was very helpful. Generous, even. As long as Mother Nature doesn't have another hissy on Sunday or they don't pack the club with stiffs, we're both going to do very well.

This post is remarkably calm, considering I started the morning with a bloody dog. Shwea, our lab mix, has a back right paw that we thought had healed, but apparently it hadn't--or she found a way to cut herself anew. Whatever the cause, she bled all over the back porch after her morning bathroom break and Linda panicked and hollered for help and I came running with my dog First Aid kit (yes, I have one). My first impulse was to take Shwea to our vet, but the last time she had a bloody paw that defied the usual remedies, he suggested surgery. Linda and I talked it over and we're going to try to take care of this ourselves, using natural remedies instead of our vet.

I am trying hard not to think of all the worst-case scenarios that may be causing this bleeding (I have a tremendous ability to worry, which I think I learned at my mother's knee) and am instead trying to focus on what might help her healing. Lucky me, I have another jam-packed day ahead, so fret-time will be at a premium.

Too much work has it's perks!

No comments: