Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Let it snow....

Really, what are my options here? Have cleared the driveway and the massive plow-provided mogul at its end so Linda has no trouble getting to work, but it appears the snow is not done. Not by a long shot.

Clearing snow is good exercise, right? (That's what I'm telling myself, though I have a vague recollection about shoveling being bad for one's heart. Or was that just something my dad seized upon to avoid yet another household chore? He wasn't exactly Mr. Handyman, let's just say that.)

This week has seen some success, though: Finally got my courage up and made an appointment for the colonoscopy my doctor suggested. Won't be going until the first week of April, which is nice and far away. Also paid all of my bills (including an ouch of a credit card bill thanks to my new PC and laptop) and then all of our household bills (my turn). That always gives me an unreasonable feeling of accomplishment. Even celebrated by picking up pizza after I dropped our bills in the mail.

It's important to celebrate the little things, say I (though Linda, who has recently begun Weight Watchers, would probably prefer I celebrate some other way. Should work on that, for the sake of family harmony.)

Realized I missed the latest anniversary of my mother's death, which I hope is a sign of something healthy. On the 27th, it was three years since I called her nursing home from a hotel lobby in NYC for an update on her condition and was put on hold for a very, very long time. "You tell her." "No, you're the head nurse, you tell her." At least that's what I imagined was going on, for when someone finally came on the line and told me, I already knew.

If one has to sob in a hotel lobby, New York is the place--nobody said a word. And if you need to walk down the street crying, New York is a good place, too. When hit in the head with a 2 x 4 of grief, I appreciate being left alone. At least for a little while.

No comments: