Friday, March 04, 2005

Goddess bless my day job

Had a very rocky night at the open mic last night, which threw me for an unusual loop (maybe not that unusual--woke up thinking, "Maybe The Comedy isn't for me." Sadly, I've done that before).

Anyway, my CSI (comic shitstorm investigation) reveals a number of factors that led to my floundering on stage like a bass out of water: (1) I went first, which I never do; (2) I had what felt like a sugar rush while on stage--didn't have any sugar before I went up, but did have a lot of carbohydrates, which apparently was not a good thing, particularly since I exercised about an hour before the show; (3) the sound echoed, and trying to be the "nothing-bothers-me" professional, I didn't mention it (even though it was freaking me out), and (4) I shot myself in the foot in the first two seconds responding to something the host extraordinnaire, my friend Jennifer, said about our successful show in Boston (well, Somerville).

It was a humbling experience, and I am trying not to read COMIC DOOM into what happened. It was a reminder that I am still relatively new at this, and as with anybody learning anything, sometimes lessons hurt a little. Or a lot.

What I think I've learned: While I can't control when I go on, I can control what I eat beforehand (I seem to do best on a lot of protein, such as a bacon cheeseburger, lucky me). Plus, I should note if anything seems awry--the mic, the sound, whatever--there are technicians around to attend to such matters (no need to gut it out, for heaven's sake--it's comedy, not the Marines!) And I gotta watch the ad libs--if I know one thing about myself, I am not a "quick on my feet" kinda gal. Sigh.

Happily, I have another performance tomorrow night, so I can put this knowledge to work.

Speaking of which, I should get to it--right now, I think my financial future is tied to my editing, not comedy, skills.

One thing: I realized after the show that I forgot a newish bit I was going to try entirely. The subject? The end of my youth; i.e., signs of aging. (Like forgetting an entire bit. Jesuit Priest!)

No comments: