Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Obsession

There was a time when I thought I wasn't interested in cars, but apparently that time is past. Lost my cranium over the PT Cruiser about four years ago, and now, realizing I need something more snow-worthy, I am looking for the "best" AWD for me. It's getting out of hand--I almost have as much paper piled up as when I bought my PC and laptop (and I need those to earn my living, for heaven's sake!).

The one good thing is I have learned that my credit score is very healthy (which I assumed, but it's always good to know for sure). Also, I have been researching the "how to buy a car" sites, and they have me so anxiety-ridden about the many ways that car dealers part the unsuspecting from their money I am afraid to drive past a dealership without ensuring my wallet is in a secure location. I do have an appointment to test drive a couple of cars tomorrow, but it's in a far-away dealership that I can run screaming out of if necessary--and no one I know will witness it.

That's my Plan B, especially if the sales rep somehow sits me down somewhere but inside a car and starts spouting arcane numbers and inflated percentages and gives me a trade-in value that would make my cat bark and an interest rate more suited to recent high school graduates all the rest of the tricks o' this trade.

Almost wish I liked Saturns. Their dealers don't dicker, they don't B.S., they just sell what they've got at the price listed, take it or leave it.

Oh well, Perhaps I'll have such a terrible time of it I'll keep the ol' Cruiser for a while longer and bum Linda's Forester when necessary. That wouldn't be a bad thing, not at all. Of course, I know myself well enough to know that that's not the most likely scenario. I have a tremendous tolerance for being snowed/lied to/taken advantage of, thanks to being raised Catholic and the youngest (by a landside) in my family.

We shall see....

No comments: