Sunday, March 20, 2005

Signs of a comic in trouble....

I have only been a performer in The Comedy for a brief while, but I have noticed that the expression "fudge packer" is not used by comics with successful material.

It's the phrase that signals desperation to yours truly. Once I get past the homophobia part, of course.

The term was used by a comic at a show I went to last night--as a member of the audience. What a nice change of pace! (If not as exciting.) The comic was bombing with his all-too-familiar rants about petty irritations and so forth (not that I don't know from petty; Lord knows I do), but since that wasn't working, he decided to whip out his offensive material. Did some riffs on gay men--with a lisp at one point--that ended with the phrase that signals a sinking comic ship. Yup, "fudge packer."
Did I mention her wore sunglasses? Yeah, that should have been a clue....

My friend Jennifer, on the other hand, did a good set that the folks really enjoyed--she has the sort of material that you can laugh at unashamedly. No bad Karma from her set, oh no. It was honest and real and--last but not least--funny.

Glad we went, even if Linda was ready to explode by the end (she doesn't enjoy The Comedy as much as I do--especially when the NCAA Women's tournament is on).

Plus, the guy in the sunglasses kept obscuring her view. Yup, a prince among men, that one.

That's enough out of me--gotta go paint (yes, it's one of those weekends).



No comments: