Saturday, March 05, 2005

Rubbing noses.....

My dear brother, who is older by 12 years, called me the day before yesterday to gloat. He does this every year around this time, for this is when he and my sister-in-law (who's not a gloater) go to Mexico for their winter holiday.

True, he calls me other times, but I know that when the phone is ringing in early March odds are good it's him on the line, Mr. I'm-going-on-holiday-and-you're-not.

One would think at 58 he would be beyond this sort of behavior, but I think older brothers are hardwired to tweak and taunt their younger sisters, and I can accept that.

Particularly since we were both plagued by our older sister growing up, and still are, on rare (thank God) occasion. He used to protect me from her as best he could back in the day, and for that, he has my eternal gratitude and permission for an annual gloat.

At the very least.

But if he picks up a stomach bug of some sort, I don't think I'll be able to resist rubbing his nose in it, so to speak.

I am a kid sister, after all, and I've got some hardwiring of my own.

And while we're on the subject of family, today is my mother's birthday--had she not been done in by The Cancer, she would have turned 85 today. Happy birthday, Mom, wherever you are!

No comments: