Monday, March 28, 2005

Cruel and unusual cold

There is a terrible sickness sweeping the land, it seems. My sweetie Linda has it, as does my comic friend Jennifer. It's not just the symptoms--never-ending coughs, aches and wooziness--the damn thing saps the spirit. Both are miserable and appear to have no hope of living normal lives again. See Jennifer's post on the subject, for an inkling as to where this bug takes an ordinarily buoyant soul.

We know that's not the case, but having been in more than one awful-if-temporary situation that feels permanent, I know this despair.

Poor ducks.

Plus, it's a rainy day and a Monday, which the Carpenters tell us is a depressing scenario if only one of these features (rain, Monday) is at play.

Poor ducks x 2.

Speaking of ducks, took the dogs out for a walk/soak this a.m., and they were annoyed with me the entire time. They seem to think I am subjecting them to rain on purpose, that I have a beautiful, sunny day in my back pocket that I'm just too stingy to pull out. As if.

Lastly, noticed a disturbing trend in my morning reading--there are a lot of absolute wackos living in my home state, and they have been in the news quite a bit. Two recent examples: There's the guy who killed a judge's husband and mother--he was from Chicago, but killed himself just outside of Milwaukee (why he couldn't have done that in the first place--before he killed innocent people--mystifies me). Then there was the guy who opened fire on his fundamentalist congregation in the Milwaukee suburbs. Apparently, all of the minister's talk of the coming apocalypse got on his nerves.

Well, I can certainly understand being upset about hearing hoo-hah in church, but my response is never to darken the church's door again--not to open fire.

What a world, what a world....

No comments: