Monday, March 14, 2005

Too many comics spoil the show....

Went to an open mic run amok this weekend--turned into a 15 (or was it 16?) comic extravaganza, and I was on two comics from the end. The usually prime (but not when it's this late) closing spot was held by none other than my friend and driving enthusiast Jennifer, poor thing. She did great, but only because she's a professional (despite her protestations to the contrary) and could likely get the dead to sit up and take notice (though I'm not suggesting she try).

It was another night where the comic ratios were dangerously askew: I left home around 5:30 to pick up Jennifer and head south to Connecticut, but didn't get on stage until a little after 11 (or was it a lot after 11? Who can remember?). By the time I went up, what was left of the audience seemed just worn out--and I wasn't exactly feeling fresh as a flower, either. Didn't help that Connecticut is a state with a smoking ban, so the ladies' room had become the designated smoking spot. As a result, every time I went to the loo--or even stood by it--I got about a pack-and-a-half's worth of nicotine in my delicate, asthma-ridden bronchials.

Finally got home at 1:00 a.m., exhausted. Don't mind getting home spent after a good show, but this one didn't qualify. It was yet another night that made me wonder if I was cut out for The Comedy. Though, I shouldn't forget that a couple of comics told me they heard I just killed at a show a couple of weeks ago--that helps a little, even if it didn't help my set. Sigh.

On other fronts, learned today that my radio appearance on WMUA isn't coming to pass after all--the hosts decided to take the show in another direction, so Jerry and Cori and I traveled to Amherst to babble into microphones in a stifling hot room in the UMASS Campus Center basement for naught. What a rip!

Is it me, or does comedy entail a lot of WASTING TIME?

Do I have that much time to waste? Oh, who am I kidding? I have nothing better to do, and The Comedy can be a lot of fun (even if this weekend wasn't).

Well, that's not entirely true. It was fun driving to and from North Haven in my new car--it's a supremely road-worthy vehicle, it is. Just ask Jennifer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The lady's not lying. The Dodge Magnum is a dream to drive. I fear there were several occasions wherein I found myself driving way to effing fast while having no idea due to the extremely smooth ride.

In my shitbox, when you're going 80, boy do you know it.