Friday, December 30, 2005

Bait and Switch revisited

Finally got around to calling the temporary agencies today to let them know I will no longer be in need of their services. Seems rather pointless, as my "relationships" with these two agencies has been rather fruitless. In fact, between the two of them, they netted me one job.

One job. In about six months or so of "trying".

Not exactly stellar performance, if you ask me.

Plus, they both engaged in what can only be seen as "bait and switch" recruiting tactics, which I find just, well, creepy. Both agencies caught my eye by advertising fabulous-sounding positions that seemed right up my alley, but wouldn't you know, the moment they got me in the door to take their tests and gather up my info, the jobs were already filled.

Weeks before, in fact.

So, they keep advertising tantalizing jobs weeks after they're filled.

What is that, if not a bait and switch?

Am very glad that I have a real job in my future, if only so it will mean I can bid these people a not-terribly-fond farewell.

On other fronts, I still have a cold. The bad news is I wake up feeling like a hacking shell of unhealthiness; the good news is I feel more humanoid as the day goes on. Also, I was supposed to go on a retreat this weekend, but cancelled due to my Linda's reluctance to go. Good thing, for not only was I not looking forward to going by myself, but I really have no desire to be sick away from home. Being sick is something one prefers to be in one's own bed, no?

And you know the people on the retreat would probably rather I keep my germs home and safe, too.

So here we are, coughing in the New Year....or something. Ah, 2005: You are a year I can say goodbye to without a hint of regret.

Here's to 2006: The year of The Jennifer Myszkowski, and much, much more! (Health, perhaps?)

No comments: