Thursday, December 22, 2005

What's coming in 2006?

I have it on good authority that 2006 is going to be The Year of the Jennifer Myszkowski.

Just so you know. (And it's about time, if you ask me. She's due, really and truly.)

But then, 2005 has not been a banner year for me, either, yet I'm going to keep my expectations low for 2006. I will be starting a fabulous new job, but also earning a fraction of my former pay. So, I'll be learning wonderful things that will enhance my resume, but also learning to live on less.

A lot less.

I've done it before, of course. My people are not well-to-do, to put it mildly, so I have had lots of experience trying to live on very little. Worse, I was trying to live on very little and earning it doing absolutely awful, degrading, and sometimes just plan disgusting jobs. Of course, I was younger then and had less stuff, but I think I'm up to the challenge.

Am hoping I am so engrossed in the new job I don't notice my lack of discretionary income.

It could happen.....couldn't it?

On other fronts, Sir Elton got hitched, U.K.-style yesterday. Sounds as though he didn't have any Rev. Fred Phelps-like loonies raining on his parade, and for that, I am grateful. Most of the onlookers who were asked about the proceedings said something to the effect of, "It doesn't hurt anybody--why not?"

One elderly woman, a Roman Catholic to boot, said something to the effect of, "If it makes him happy, I'm glad for him."

How very, very civilized.

No comments: