Tuesday, December 27, 2005

What's in my wallet?

Tried to get three charges off my credit card again today (this is my third attempt), and today's response, from the brain trust at CapitalOne, was to cancel my credit card.

Well, they're sending me a new one, but still.

The problem is that I made a reservation with the Surfside Inn in Provincetown via Travelocity in mid-October. Then, two days later (after reading about a guest's terrible experience at said hotel) I cancelled the reservation. There was some rumbling about a cancellation fee, and something that looked like a cancellation charge appeared on my credit card statement shortly thereafter. Fair enough.

But then, the next month's statement came, and the hotel submitted charges in the same amount as the cancellation fee again. Three times, in fact.

Altogether, the "cancellation fee" is now somewhere near TWICE the value of the room I had originally reserved.

Not good. Not good at all.

So, I've been trying to get this corrected via both CapitalOne and Travelocity, and so far: No luck.

What's in my wallet? A useless piece of plastic.

The good news is that I only use the plastic for emergencies, and happily, it's not the time of year we usually have those. (Shwea's paw tends to open up in the warmer months.)

On other fronts, I've been wondering if I should make a New Year's resolution, but as I don't remember what, if anything, was resolved last year, methinks it's a giant waste of time.

Plus, if I were to resolve to do anything, it would likely involve weight loss and/or exercise, as I have let myself go a bit the past year. (When one is underemployed, food and sloth are as cheap as thrills get.)

And as I'm starting a new job soon, methinks I don't need more stress.

Besides, Aunt Lib from Nebraska just sent a tub of home-baked cookies, wrapped in wax paper, as is required by women of her generation. For heaven's sake--I'm only human, after all.

No comments: