Monday, December 19, 2005

Interesting development....

Wouldn't you know: Just after I accepted the non-profit job, I get a call about interviewing for a job with a for-profit enterprise that would probably pay twice the salary and include the full range of benefits--including three weeks of vacation to start and a very generous retirement plan. (The non-profit job offers health care and one week vacation and no retirement. No foolin'!)

That the non-profit job is compelling on an emotional and intellectual and perhaps even spiritual level is one major consideration. That the job that offers money and security entails writing about subject matter that is on the dull side is another. But then, a living wage that would allow me to show my semi-employer the door--that's a consideration that may trump them all!!

Though my heart belongs to the non-profit job, I have to follow up on this. If only to avoid a major case of the "What ifs." "What ifs" that will definitely occur to me the first time I am struggling to make my car payment and/or finance some other worthy investment on my non-profit salary.

That I haven't even had, much less passed, a screening interview, however, is the reality, and we shall see how that goes before we get all worked up about anything.


On other fronts, we began another painting project this weekend. We're painting our bedroom a dark purple, and it's stunning, if grape-y. Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

Also: Have been noticing a decided correlation between runners and bicyclists doing bone-headed things (like running or riding three abreast in heavy traffic when there's a perfectly good sidewalk available) and the wearing of Spandex or some other very tight pants/shorts.

In fact, I've seen so many Spandex-wearing dimwits, I think that someone should do a study of IQ before and during Spandex-wearing.

Wouldn't be surprised if these folks drop a good 100 IQ points. Maybe more.

No comments: