Monday, January 02, 2006

The Year of the Jennifer Myszkowski begins!

Happy 2006! This was not a New Year's for the record books, but considering the year I've had, I am not in the least surprised. The cold that came on Christmas morn was (and is) still making itself known--we're at what I like to call the "Never Can Say Goodbye Girl" phase, where the worst is definitely over, but the so-n-so of a cold is not quite ready to call it quits. Soon, please goddess, let it be soon.

New Year's Eve was very quiet, just Linda, me, and the beasts all huddled on the guest room futon watching a wonderful special about Miss Peggy Lee. Seeing her sing "Fever," "I'm a Woman," and the best of all, "Is That All There Is?" was a fabulous way to end the year. Have always adored "Is That All There Is?" even though it doesn't reflect my current world view--but as you can imagine, it summed things up nicely for me when I was a drinking gal. "Let's break out the booze and have a ball, if that's all...there is." A classy call to get shitfaced--what more could a drunk want?

On the subject of class, I do wonder who thought it was a good idea to put a mic into the hands of post-stroke Dick Clark this New Year. Will they be embalming him a la Chairman Mao when his time comes and rolling him out at the stroke of midnight?

But then, maybe it was a good thing, to be reminded that we may have many New Year Rockin' Eves in us, but sooner or later, old age will come knockin', too.

On that cheery note, I have some last bits of home-based business to attend to before I start my new career tomorrow. I'm even looking forward to the drive, now that I know Rachael Maddow will be on the radio for part of my trip--she's starting a new "double-wide" show from 7-9 a.m. Eastern time tomorrow. A new job and some time with Rachel: Life is good!

No comments: