Friday, April 29, 2005

Friday it is--AIEEEEE!

I have a minor little gig tonight, emceeing a musical benefit. That I have never emceed before (except at a talent show during a retreat--for a group who believes spirituality and talent are not mutually exclusive), did not bother the rep from the organization benefiting from the benefit, so I said I'd do it.

Of course, I'm regretting that decision now. There are many things that could go wrong, true, but it could also go right--the folks at the charity are very laid-back (at least according to the aforementioned rep), so I'm going to strive for that state of being, too. I'm also supposed to stick to emceeing--no comedy. Of course, I expect to inject a comment or two, for why ask a comic to emcee if you want no comedy?

It's no big deal, really--I had a show as recently as last night, so I got The Comedy out of my system. It went well, but for a very drunk woman towards the front who demanded every comic's attention. Well, of course, that meant she eventually became every comic's target, and I'm almost ashamed to say, I joined the fray. But it was so perfect, the opportunity she provided, I couldn't not jump in....

What was it, you wonder? Well, I find explaining jokes tough sledding, but let's say I used my line about being popular as a straight girl--"I was young, had long blonde hair, and a drinking problem. If that doesn't spell 'popularity,' I don't know what does!"--and used the drunk woman (who, bless her, happened to have long, blonde hair) as a case in point. The crowd roared, and I think even the woman found it funny.

Thank goddess! It was a risky move (for me), and it paid off. Whew!

Well, I must get going. We're having the water turned on today at the cottage, so we can retire the porta potty till the winter, brush our teeth, shower, and so forth. Hygienic happiness will soon be ours....

No comments: