Monday, April 11, 2005

Happy Birthday dear beastie!

This will be lost on people who don't have animals (or animals they adore, anyway), but my first dog Shwea turned eight today--eight! Can't believe it's been that long since I first picked her sleeping carcass up off the vinyl floor of the kitchen in her Southampton birthplace.

Yes, she was sleeping then, and she's sleeping now. (Not a live wire, that Shwea). So far, we've celebrated by counting off nine banana slices (one for each year and one to grow on) and popping them into her waiting/gaping mouth. (She loves her bananas. Loves watermelon more, but it's too early in the season for such delicacies.) Dunno what else we'll do to mark the occasion, but I have an idea it may involve the steak leftover from last night's supper. (It was a little tough, but of course, Shwea won't care--she's easygoing where such things are concerned.)

Happy birthday, girl, and many happy returns!

On other fronts, I had a very good show at the Elks club on Saturday night, even though the crowd looked a lot like the folks at the Chinese restaurant who gave me pause. The moral of the story is that you never can tell, I guess (you'd think I would have learned that by now, and not just from The Comedy).

Never said I was quick, did I? (My picture could be above "slow learner" in the dictionary, though it might be more appropriate to stick my picture about the phrase "late bloomer.")

If I bloomed much later, I'd be dead.

Have a lot of work facing me since I was away in NYC or prepping for my colonoscopy most of last week, so it's going to be a whirlwind five days--and I have a show Thursday night. Time to get busy....

No comments: