Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Adieu, Dodge Magnum.....

Hello, Pontiac Vibe!

Yes, I traded in my brand-new Inferno Red midlife crisis mobile for a mini-SUV in a color called Moonstone (sort of a metallic brown, like my hair).

Sensible? You bet! A little sad? Ditto!

Saw a black Magnum while running errands today in my oh-so-sensible car and felt a pang--a pang!

That's rather embarrassing, isn't it? I'm emotionally attached to my former car. What am I, 45 going on 16?!

Of course, it may not be the car--it's more likely what it represented: Financial freedom, security, and FULL EMPLOYMENT.

Yes, I was emotionally attached to all of that. (Who wouldn't be?) At this time, it helps for me to remember that I didn't L-U-V the job I am watching fade away, but I certainly L-U-V'd the pay.

That said, even with a (still) fairly full work load, I have managed to get 10 resumes out to prospective employers, and have queried a few of my professional contacts as to their need for freelance help. No nibbles, yet, but it's way early--I've been at this job hunting business a little over a week, so it's a little soon to worry.

Right?

No, you're absolutely right: It's not too early to worry--it's never too early, is it? I've been worrying up a storm for over a week now, and I firmly believe I HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO WORRY. The worst worries are those that wake me up at 3:15 a.m. Have had about three of those in the past week.

Worries aside, losing (most of) my job has given my sense of well-being a real boost. I have been touched by the support I'm getting from Linda, my family of origin, friends, and coworkers. Got a call from an editor I haven't worked with for years yesterday--she had just heard the news and gave me a pep talk about my "crazy skills." Another editor sent me a job posting she found on the Internet that she thought I'd be perfect for--and indeed, it looked good, so I sent in a resume.

Spoke to my last remaining aunt and uncle in Wisconsin on Sunday (they've owned a Vibe for a couple of years and I wanted to see how they felt about it--they loved it, I'm happy to report). Well
they were very sweet and supportive and I consider them my golden age cheerleading squad.

And Linda, she gave me a card over the weekend that bore the inscription, "I believe in you, I know you'll find a way no matter what!"

Right back atcha, Sweetie--all of you, in fact.

No comments: