Saturday, April 02, 2005

Hostile, if accommodating

Despite some pushback on my material, I had an overall good show last night in Winchendon--which, according to a local, is also known as "Winchentucky." Wondered about all the pickup trucks in the parking lot--and the "Bush for President" bumper sticker didn't exactly warm my heart.

Yeah, they were really primed for a recovering alcoholic lesbian act, let me tell you!

The beauty part is I didn't give a damn what they thought. Is this a sign of progress on the self-esteem front, or reckless disregard for personal safety? I hope it's the former, for I felt blissfully unmoved by the reaction to some of my material.

And listening to my recording this morning, the times where the crowd drew back were more than compensated for by the times they lost their little minds. Homophobic, but in hysterics--can't help but like that.

The irony to me is that this was a benefit for a used/abused/abandoned animal shelter--from dogs to horses to whatever. So, these people love the heck out of animals of all shapes and sizes, but a human being suggests there may be more than one way to be human, and they draw back in horror.

Or silence. (Same thing if you're a comic, IMHO.)

Oh well, I did 15 minutes and they were good. It was wonderful prep for my show tomorrow in Sommerville with Jennifer.

If I could just shake this throat thing (my voice is still in the lower registers), life would be perfect.

But this is good.

No comments: