Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A heapin' helpin' of R-E-A-L-I-T-Y

Am sitting in my office, enjoying the open expanse of oak I now see on my desk, thanks to the efforts of Val and Joan this past weekend. When yesterday's mail landed, I dutifully found the proper home for each piece--am going to try to walk on the tidy side for as long as I can. Besides, I don't want to see any disappointment in my friends' faces when next they visit. They worked too hard!

Jumped on the chemo bandwagon again yesterday, and except for a little nausea I'm feeling okay today. They weren't able to use my new port, alas, for it needs to heal a lot more before it can be used. So yes, I was stuck--twice--yesterday for lab work and chemo. I was not happy about it, but what's a girl to do?

Another "what's a girl to do?" development was that I learned yesterday that the overall plan is this: Another cycle after this one (or more, depending) of chemo, and then, body willing, I will be a candidate for an auto-transfusion. Will need to look into it further, but it entails their collecting my bone marrow cells, then giving me two days of high-dose chemo to wipe out the Bad Boys, then, eventually, returning my cells to their rightful place. It all will entail another three weeks in the hospital, which was a blow, but I think it will be easier knowing in advance that I will be in the hospital that long--this last "visit" was harder since I kept thinking I was heading home only to be kept in my johnnie for another week or more.

And this time, I'll know how much underwear to pack. Hooray!

Am worried, of course, about leaving the Bombshell behind again for another long stretch. She's been having such trouble with her arthritis lately, but I worry about her anyway (the fact that she recently turned 13 is a bit of a worry, too). Perhaps I need to find a good house sitter or the equivalent for my next extended stay at the MGH "hotel"--if you live around here and have any good, dog-friendly house sitters to recommend, do tell.

That's pretty much the whole story for now. Am trying to enjoy each day (today is gorgeous, BTW) and the time I have with the Dowager Princess known as Shwea, not to worry, though I can't help but have the occasional "Yikes!" moment when I think about what lies ahead. I know, I know--it does me no good and I shouldn't allow my brain to go there, but alas, my brain has a mind of its own.

Love from us both, Ann and Shwea

4 comments:

Val and Joan's travels said...

Don't stress about letting your mail get messy again. It's hard to "turn over a new leaf" especially when you don't feel up to it! We plan to help keep you in order and now that others know the system, they can too! Joan just feels bad that she didn't set up your clarenet stand. I was more impressed that she organized all those cables in your office! We will be up again in May to do more.

RE: the cancer treatment, don't forget the ONE DAY AT A TIME plan. That one works very well :-)

Love ya-

Val

PS I stayed home today and have volunteered to help Joan organize HER office. She's digging her heels in............

Trevor said...

"If we make the effort now and keep on repeating the message, I am sure it will get through: tidy up after yourselves or even better, don't litter in the first place."
- Matt Jay

"I like to have a tidy kitchen but I am not too bothered about my room or living room etc. My theory is that when it's untidy I feel comfortable, like it feels lived in, and its only gonna get untidy if you tidy it so wait, wait, wait."
- Dominic Monaghan

"After every war someone has to tidy up."
- Wislawa Szymborska

“Creative minds are rarely tidy”
- anonymous

Paula from the D said...

I feel like a real stooge but who said "This too shall pass"? I find that as 58 is fast approaching the brain synapses don't seem to react as well.

Ann, stay strong, this will pass and you will look back on it soon and say "phew I made it" Plus, Beth and I want to get out of the Motor City and come see your comedy act.

Have any more cookies left?

Anonymous said...

Ann - Good morning! Head down & keep punchin'... you'll get through this next round! We keep thinking positive thoughts & praying for you too.

"All good!"

Mike Walker