Thursday, October 13, 2005

What a relief!

The show last night went just fine (not my best, but certainly not my worst); but more important, there was no sign of animus from the impresario I thought I had offended to the detriment of my career and the careers of all who know me.

On the contrary, I received a more gracious reception than I would have ever expected--said impresario even announced the show I cancelled my appearance at his club for!

That was a very classy gesture, don't you think? (Or is it really a sign of my giant insignificance to this man?)

Or both?

You know, I don't really care, I am just grateful. For heaven's sake, I squirmed for days at the thought that I had offended him--I thought I had given up thoughtlessly offending people when I gave up drinking, and it really bothered me to think I could do it stone-cold sober. (Not exactly progress, you know?)

Oh happy day!

It was also a great night for Jennifer Myszkowski and the other member of the Western Mass. Comics Association on the roster, Mike Lemme. Jennifer got heckled and handled it beautifully--heroically, even. For the heckler derailed her train of thought, but she still managed to keep the crowd laughing. In fact, she raised the level of hilarity through her response to the heckler and her own discombobulation.

It was a joy to behold, let me tell you.

And so was young Mr. Lemme--how anyone at the age of 15 can find humor in life and convey it is beyond my comprehension (I was so damn bleak at his age, I can't begin to tell you). He has some great material, and I hope nothing deters him from his comic destiny.

The teen years are fraught, don't you know.

But then, so are one's 40s--but for completely different reasons. (Thank God.)

Now I have to clean up my office a bit, so I have room to do some new work that's come in (thank you God x 2). The bill for Butler represents a week of work as a temp, for heaven's sake, so every little bit helps.

No comments: