Saturday, October 08, 2005

SOP: Foulups and missteps

I've been a bad, bad comic. Well, at least where one comic impresario is concerned, this I know. Was scheduled to perform at his club two weeks from now, but found out it was the same night as a fabulous show that I promised to perform in ages ago but didn't get the date until last week, and so cancelled with the comedy club impresario, explaining I had another show I HAD to attend.

Big mistake.

I should have said a family issue came up, apparently (which, as the show was for GLBT folks in recovery, would be stretching the truth but a little), for I have offended said impresario perhaps beyond repair. Simply put, I thought of The Comedy as a business, but sadly, it's a lot more like dating. You don't throw over a date just because you just got a chance with a sure thing.

And friends, there is little more sure in this life than the reception my comedy will get in a room full of sober queers, let me tell you.

And as I've had more than a few shows lately where the largely (if not completely) straight audience has regarded me as though I had an extra noggin' or two, I really could use a recharge with "my" people.

But it may have been at the expense of my budding career in a room to the East.

Oh dear, what to do? I've been worrying myself a little sick about it, not so much for my sake, but because I fear my misstep will cost my comedy buddy and anyone else affiliated with me points with said impresario.

Goddess willing, he'll keep his pique focused on me, where it belongs--but as the old Lotto slogan goes, "Hey, you never know." What to do, what to do? Apologize, this I know. Will see him soon, and see what, if anything, can be done.

On other fronts, I had an interview this week that left me disappointed. The position sounded cool, but then, it turned out to be something else. Not that I'm in any position to turn down the job if it is offered, but I am not too broken up at the prospect that I think I didn't impress the folks in the "cool" job any more than the job impressed me.

And how about the audition yesterday? Who the heck knows?! I did pretty well, I think (at least the nice woman from Minnesota who was checking comics in said so), but the people "casting" the liberal show were on the young side, and may not see me as a fit.

Of course, there could be a myriad of reasons why I wouldn't fit their vision besides my age, for "liberal" means many things to many people. We shall see next week.

As for other prospects, I came home to two rejection letters for jobs I had a hope or two for, so right now I'm not exactly happy about the life and times of yours truly.

I'm also bone tired, which doesn't help matters, either. Happily, it's raining, so we won't be able to work on our deck today (I'm trying to contain my disappointment), and are taking it easy. This I can do. (With passion, even.)

We have reservations for dinner and a play tonight, and I think a little break from my preoccupation with The Comedy and the Job Hunt will be good for me. And, likely, you.

One last thing: New York City was surprisingly hot and disgusting yesterday, and I was horrified to be caught behind so many smokers--cigarettes and cigars--while trying to get to where I wanted to go on foot. (As there is an alert regarding an attack on the subways, I promised Linda I wouldn't take them. Got a whole lotta walking in yesterday, let me tell you!) Almost had to pull my inhaler out near Madison Square Garden--sheesh! But I still love New York, for I love New Yorkers. In fact, since she worked near to where I had my audition, I managed to have lunch with Ellen, a dear friend I don't get to see nearly enough. And if you're a New York-based friend who I didn't see yesterday (yes, Val and/or Joan, I mean you), I will be back--for comedy, I hope--and will give you a call. Promise.

Here's hoping the liberals let me.




No comments: