Sunday, October 16, 2005

Blinking, they left their caves...

Did I dream it, or did I see sunshine today? I think I did, but as it got bleak again shortly after my supposed sighting, I'm wondering if I made it all up--some sort of weather-induced hallucination, brought on by days of rain and clouds, clouds and rain, ad infinitum.....

The dogwoods in our front yard have vibrant red berries that have inspired a bird feeding frenzy the likes of which I've never seen. And so much for "birds of a feather"--there have been so many different birds sharing the bounty on the trees and ground, we haven't been able to identify them all. Linda was parked in the front bay window with a Petersen guide most of the morning, and she still doesn't know who they all are.

Oh dear--are we on the brink of becoming birdwatchers? Nothing wrong with that, but I hadn't planned on taking up that hobby until my 60s.

Further signs of middle age:
We went to a free workshop yesterday at ReStore in Springfield on making your house more energy efficient. It was packed. With other middle-aged folks like us. Sigh.

At the end, the presenter announced a promotion whereby each of us could get a free fluorescent bulb, just for filling out a form.

There was almost a stampede.

Linda and I came home and happily installed our new money-saving bulbs in the big bathroom. We turned the lights on and were both pleased at the result.

Yes, it's come to this.

No comments: