Sunday, February 28, 2010

Pardon the interruption in service....

One of last week's snow storms knocked out my land line, thereby messing up my DSL as well.

Today the dear folks from Verizon cleared things up, happily, and so I, and my blog, are back in bidness.

It was hard to be without email, I must say. Something like withdrawal set in, but I had other things going on, so I didn't notice it much.

Other things? Well, my back has been killing me since I was sprung from MassGeneral, and I found out why this past week. It's due to a combination of the posture my poor mother tried to improve (unsuccessfully) for decades and the fact I was in various pieces of hospital equipment for more than a week.

Not good for one's back, that stuff.

So, I am now on medicine for pain and have exercises to do, thanks to a marvelous PT I saw on Friday. Add in a reusable ice pack from CVS, and things have definitely begun to look up yet again.

Still, I was feeling dragged out, and they did some more blood work. Seems I'm due for another transfusion in the coming week, which is no surprise for someone in my booties. The good news is that the work also showed that my platelets are up yet again--up to 150 (from a low of 47 when I first checked in to the hospital). While low normal is 300 or so, this is still progress, and I am happy for it.

There have been scores of dear people in the house this week, bearing groceries, shovels, leashes (for the Bombshell, mind you), videos/DVDs/books on tape and more--one even brought his scissors and trimmer, so yours truly could have a decent hair cut. And another not only "house sat" while I went to church in case Verizon came to fix my phone while I was out (they did), she brought treats, including a Midwestern delicacy called "crud." Delightful!

This parade of sweet peas made a challenging week less so, and I am ever so grateful, friends. Thank you, too, to those sending well wishes--those are cheerfully accepted anytime!

Well, this is about as much time in front of a monitor as my stomach can stand right now; thank you for checking in. Love from me and the Princess Shwea

2 comments:

Sita said...

Yay, your back!
We lit a big 'ol guadalupe candle for ya today (well, we did include the many suffering people in Chile too. So, you're not alone).
Glad to hear the platlets are on the move, and your back is getting some needed attention.
Please don't hesitate to call on us.

What the heck is crud? I'm from the Midwest too ya know! (Must be a Wisconsin thing)
love, Sita

Dinners and Dreams said...

First time here. Nice blog and stories.

Nisrine