Saturday, March 04, 2006

Awwwwww

It's pledge season again on NPR, which is typically just a pain in the patoot. They try to be creative while they beg, but it's begging still, and it's just not as much fun to listen to as "Wait, Wait--Don't Tell Me!" or "Car Talk."

Anyway, my dear Linda made a pledge today, and dedicated it to the memory of my mother Elaine, who would have turned 86 tomorrow. Mother was a big fan of NPR--in fact, it was the only preset station on her radio. While that may have been because she couldn't figure out how to set more than one station, she would have been pleased by the gesture.

We heard the announcement of her "memorial" pledge together, and had a good cry.
On other fronts, we saw "Walk the Line" last night, and while I love Johnny Cash, I'm not sure I adored the movie about him and his June. Both Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Whitherspoon were appealing as all get-out, but was the film as compelling as, say, "Coal Miner's Daughter"? Don't think so.
It felt as though they pulled some punches, sanitized his story a bit.
But then, what do I know?
Lastly, picked up a couple more shows for the spring, which you can see here. Will provide more details as they become available. It's going to be interesting, trying to keep the comedy going while working in a full-time, fairly demanding job, but I'm going to keep at it as long as I can. We shall see, eh?

No comments: