Monday, March 06, 2006

Well, that was depressing....

So, "Brokeback Mountain" was a little too "out there" for the Academy, no matter how cool George Clooney thinks the Academy is. Hattie McDaniels (SP?) can get an Oscar in 1939, but then a song about pimp/hos/bitches gets an Oscar in 2006?

Is this progress? (Would Miss McDaniels think so??)

And Reese Witherspoon as BEST ACTRESS???? Everyone who voted for her should be forced to listen to her acceptance speech over and over again for the next week. It is the only penance I can think of that suits the crime. My condolences to Felicity Huffman: You were robbed, Honey. Just robbed.

Per Ms. Witherspoon: I'm glad her folks gave her self-esteem, but they may have considered adding a little humility, just to balance things out a bit. Perhaps they could just throw her and me in a big bag and shake--we might come out bearably well-adjusted. (Might.)

(And did her hubby look truly happy for her? Or is he going the way of Hilary Swank's ex?)

Oy, vot a business! I'm sorry, but I am soooooo unhappy about this stupid awards show, it's embarrassing.

I am reminded that the Academy Awards is Hollywood's orgy of self-congratulation. Well, they may think it's somehow all cool and liberal and cutting edge to vote for a song about a pimp and a movie about racial tensions in their own benighted backyards, but it doesn't read cool to me, it reads: BIGOTED and SAFE.

Out of touch with America? Maybe. But out of touch with reality? Definitely.

No comments: