Thursday, March 16, 2006

I know I promised, but.....

I made noises about saying no more about the Oscars, but then my former bossman (he would hate that title) sent me an essay by Annie Proulx (author of the short story on which "Brokeback Mountain" was based), and I realized I had to share it. I recommend the entire essay, but this passage raises an issue that I think hasn't been raised anywhere else (and the fact that it appeared in a U.K. publication means it won't be raised here any time soon):

"The prize, as expected, went to Philip Seymour Hoffman for his brilliant portrayal of Capote, but in the months preceding the awards thing, there has been little discussion of acting styles and various approaches to character development by this year's nominees. Hollywood loves mimicry, the conversion of a film actor into the spittin' image of a once-living celeb. But which takes more skill, acting a person who strolled the boulevard a few decades ago and who left behind tapes, film, photographs, voice recordings and friends with strong memories, or the construction of characters from imagination and a few cold words on the page? I don't know. The subject never comes up. Cheers to David Strathairn, Joaquin Phoenix and Hoffman, but what about actors who start in the dark?"

Yes, what of Heath and Felicity and Jake and Michelle?

Oh, I know--get over it already, ya sore loser!

Will do. Someday. But not yet.

No comments: