Sunday, March 05, 2006

What the hey....

Since the Academy Awards are upon us and I've seen all but one of the movies in contention for Best Picture ("Crash"--don't ask me how), I'm going to venture my guesses for the categories I give a rat's what-have-you about:

Best Picture: "Brokeback Mountain." And not just because it features homos on the range. The film was beautiful and heartbreaking and told a story that needed to be told, which could be said of "Munich" and "Good Night, and Good Luck" and even "Capote," but it was the most satisfying of the bunch. Key: I wouldn't change a thing--can't say that about the other films.

Best Actor: Heath Ledger in "Brokeback", though I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman may get it instead, for his freakishly accurate portrayal of Truman Capote. I was impressed by his Capote, really and truly, but Heath Ledger's Ennis was a tragic figure the likes of which I haven't seen in years--if ever.

Best Supporting Actor: I only saw "Brokeback," so can't say, but from what I've heard, George Clooney should get this. If Jake Gyllenhaal got it as part of a "Brokeback" sweep, that would be lovely--but I think George will get it, because his "Good Night, and Good Luck" won't get best picture (the Academy likes him, they really like him, and they'll want to give him something nice and shiny to take home).

Best Actress: Felicity Huffman in "Transamerica." I didn't see all of the contenders in this category, either, but was not taken by Charlize Theron's "Norma Rae" turn in "North Country," for some reason. And though I think Reese Witherspoon is delightful, her June Carter portrayal in "Walk the Line" didn't demonstrate the chops that Felicity Huffman did playing Bree, the MTF trans one operation away from fruition (so to speak). Incredible.

Best Supporting Actress: This is the toughest category by far, even though I didn't see two of the performances up for the Oscar. I have loved Frances McDormand for years, and looked forward to her return to the Upper Midwest in "North Country," for she was perfection as Marge Gunderson (SP?) in "Fargo." She was good in "North Country," but was she better than Catherine Keener in "Capote" and Michelle Williams in "Brokeback"? That's impossible to say. If I had to pick one of these actresses, I would have to pick Michelle Williams--but she's just slightly ahead of Catherine and Frances. Slightly.

Best Director: Ang Lee. He directed a perfect film. Perfect.

Best Screenplay (original): I didn't like "The Squid and the Whale" at all--pissy, unappealing straight people behaving badly. I didn't see "Crash" or "Syriana" or "Match Point." Which means I must pick "Good Night, and Good Luck," which isn't bad at all--but it could have been better....you know? (In a nutshell: Too much secretly married couple, not enough Edward R. Murrow.)

Best Screenplay (adaptation): "Brokeback Mountain," Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana. Every scene belonged in the film, every word mattered, every action carried the story along--it was as perfect a script as I've seen. (But again, I didn't see all the contenders.)

So, though it matters not in the grand scheme of things, those are my picks for the major Oscars tonight. We shall see how it all goes in a few hours, eh? (I took the morning off from work tomorrow, so I can stay up for the whole glorious and boring business: WOO!)

No comments: