Sunday, March 19, 2006

March Madness?

After months of existing with below-basic cable, Linda and I have decided to recognize the recent improvements in our finances by expanding our subscription to include ESPN (so we can watch the women's NCAA tournament) and SHOWTIME (so we can watch "The L Word"). Naturally.

(Methinks our lesbian credentials are in good order.)

Must admit, though, I'm looking forward to catching up on "Weeds" as well, the SHOWTIME series on a pot-dealing suburban widow, played by the fabulous Mary Louise Parker. (She's been a favorite since "Fried Green Tomatoes," of course, but I love her too for helping to make the middle name "Louise" far easier to bear.)

As for people I adore, I haven't quoted Molly Ivins for a least a month, so here's a gem from her latest on the CommonDreams site:

"As of Sept. 11, 2001, there were a few hundred people identified with al-Qaida's ideology. Even then, it was unclear the American military was the right tool for the job. Now, Rumsfeld is apparently prepared to put the full might of the U.S. military into this fight indefinitely, backed by the full panoply of ever-more expensive weapons and the whole hoorah. I don't think the people who got us into Iraq should be allowed to do this because, based on the evidence of Iraq, I don't think they have the sense God gave a duck."

My father was partial to the expression, "Hasn't got the brains God gave geese," so of course I'm taken with this--particularly in relation to the current Administration, which persists in the myth of Iraq's burgeoning democracy as the place and its people are blown to smithereens on a daily basis.

And I thought I had a problem with denial!

No comments: