Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The shame of a pie-snatcher

Today has been a mixed bit o' business.

First, I heard that the comedy benefit scheduled for this Thursday is cancelled. That news was a little bit of a bummer, because it feels like eons since my last set and in this week's prevailing gloom and drizzle, I could use the adrenalin. The upside, however, is that I also have a job interview that day, and my nervous system might not be able to take the stress of an interview plus a standup performance.

Oh my, yes, I'm a delicate flower.

Secondly, I brought our lab mix Shwea in for her weigh-in at the puppy equivalent of Weight Watchers (a.k.a. our vet). She lost another seven pounds or thereabouts, which is wonderful news. Alas, she should lose even more, so I picked up another giant bag of her pricey prescription kibble. (Speaking of vets, we got a condolence card regarding Butler from our old vet out in Southampton, even though they haven't seen him in years. Many years! Nice touch, that.)

Anyway, the last bit of news so far today is that when Shwea and I came home from our trip to the vet, I found an empty pie tray in the living room. Linda bought a half pumpkin pie for us this Sunday, and while we each managed to have a small slice from it, about a quarter of a pie was left when Shwea and I headed to Williamsburg this afternoon.

Linus, the wily beast, managed to get hold of the pie, which had been resting in a secure (or so we thought) location on the counter.

Come to think of it, this was the same "secure" location that used to hold a tray of mini-pecan pies, which Linus and Shwea polished off on Saturday.

Hmmmm. Seems we need to rethink where we store our baked goods, eh?

Anyway, the moment I noticed the empty pie tray, I put on my best disgusted and/or disappointed voice and said "Bad dog!"

The riot is, both Linus and Shwea skulked away--and Shwea (for once) was innocent as a lamb.

Linus, on the other hand, had a look that said he would be red with shame--if only his face wasn't covered with that marvelous black fur.

He may be a pie-snatcher, but he's a handsome devil.

No comments: