Monday, November 14, 2005

Back in the saddle again!

Was I just in D.C.--for a week?! It was a whirlwind. Felt like forever, felt like a minute, if you know what I mean.

Fantastic class, really and truly. Recommend the "Grantsmanship Training Program" from The Grantsmanship Center without reservation. It was an intense five days, spent with a phenomenal instructor and a room full of women (yes, just women--not always the case, mind you) of extraordinary intelligence, humanity, and verve. Heard of "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"? Well, I felt as thought I got to sit in with "The League of Extraordinary Women."

Not only that, the more I learned about writing proposals and the grantmaking process, the better I liked it. And though I had work to do today, I've begun the pursuit of a few opportunities to apply what I've learned on the cheap, if not for free. We shall see....

As for D.C., it was beautiful, as always. Never tire of looking at the embassies on Massachusetts, nor the GLBT set paging through books and saucy magazines at Lambda Rising in Dupont Circle. And my dearly beloved (and very generous) brother and sister-in-law who put me up for the week saw me perform and the planet kept on a' spinnin'--a MAJOR relief.

Of course, where The Comedy was concerned, they focused on the Midwestern parts of my act (not the drunk straight girl bits), but who can blame them?

Certainly not me!

And it was good to practice my act in a new town and with new people, even if one of the shows was a minor debacle. Even it wasn't all bad--met a grand comic from New Orleans who joined me in a post-set commiseration session that did us both good. (Almost as good as ice cream.)

Still no word on the Laughing Liberally front, but it's still not time to worry. That will be in about a week or so--I'll let you know.

Love D.C. and the D.C. branch as I do, I still am very grateful to be home--even if I did spend a lot of the weekend digging/raking/mulching.

But not all--we went to a film festival and an open studios exhibition at a huge art space in town. Gotta love a small college town that gives you a heaping helping of culture along with the quaints.

Gotta.



No comments: