Thursday, June 16, 2005

When all else fails....Give blood!

Perhaps I should be ashamed to admit it, but I was feeling down in the dumps (again) today until I met my friend Laura for coffee. She's also job-hunting, so we got together to commiserate and have a treat at a local coffee shop to lift our spirits.

Talking helped, but what really did the trick was waiting for us across the street--the bloodmobile was parked right on Main Street, and when Laura saw it, she said, "Let's go give blood!"

"Yes, let's!" was my reply, even though I don't think I've given blood since the 1980s. (I know, THAT is something to be ashamed about.)

It was easy, it was virtually painless (the pinprick test hurt more than the actual blood giving), and the nurses were wise-cracking hoots.

Plus you get juice and cookies and a coupon for a pint of ice cream.

Yes, FREE ice cream.

What's not to like?

So yes, I gave blood, and am feeling so much better about things. Maybe they got the blood with poor self-esteem out of me (my apologies to whomever gets it), maybe I just needed to lie still and do something productive (instead of sending resumes and cover letters into the void), maybe I just needed to get out of my office for a few hours.

Whatever, it worked, and I feel really good. Upbeat, even.

Well, let's not get carried away.....

On other fronts, I got my tire replaced today, and also put together the claims questionnaire and supporting documents to the city claims council and the mayor for the cost (Yes, red tape a-plenty, but I've worked for the government, they can't scare me.)

They might accept their responsibility, they might not, but at least I'm giving them the opportunity, right?

Yeah, right.

No comments: